Thursday, November 12, 2015

Objects of Desire installation experiments



So driving into work one day, I had this idea for an installation which I'm calling Two Dozen Cupcakes and One Banana Split the concept being objects of desire... perhaps it was inspired by my recent dieting endeavors OR maybe it is an evolution from my 99 Names for Boobs series or perhaps it is a combination of the two... I will let my artist statement flesh that out when the time comes. In the mean time, rather than paint I envisioned this installation as sculptural in nature and thus three-dimensional, which pushes the concept of a 'graspable' object of desire. My thought is that the cupcakes and banana split would be made out of porcelain, and presented on a small tiger maple wood block that would serve as an individual pedestal, which would then be placed on a small shelf that would be mounted on the wall. I'm thinking the cupcakes would be placed in pairs and then space along the gallery walls and then the banana split would be a single sculpture placed among the cupcakes. 

So that's the idea, now the challenge is, I've only worked in two-dimensional mediums thus far and I've no clue how to sculpt or work in clay... my solution... learn! That being decided, I found a clay instructor at the Art Students League of Denver, met with him to talk over my idea, of which he was very interested and thought it really cool, and I am now studying with him in a clay hand building class on Wednesday evenings. The class is awesome because I'm basically able to work on my concept and he is teaching me how to create in clay. The above examples are the first two experiments. I think I prefer the shorter fatter cupcake, which was the second one I made, to the taller one. Last night at class I added the 'icing' cherry and sprinkles - talk about fate, one of my fellow classmates had actually done cake decorating in a past job so he was able to advise me on the piping of the icing and the spreading of the icing on the other (its really funny because I am not a baker which is why I had no clue how to apply icing, but yet here I am making small pastry sculptures... of course just as I typed the word small the idea popped into my head what if I made a large scale cupcake? OMG that would be so cool! Ok all in good time, I need to first finish this installation.

So now these first two experiments are ready for firing after which we will experiment with glazing! Good thing my show isn't until October of 2016. Dean (Goss) my instructor and I were talking last night and he said that if my goal is to create two dozen cupcakes I will probably have to make something like 32 cupcakes in order to have 24 that I am really satisfied with... which makes sense. When I was studying photography at Purdue oh so many years ago, one of my instructors informed me that in order to get one good photograph I probably had to go through a whole roll of film (this was pre digital camera days...) so the idea of making 32 in order to get 24 makes perfect sense to me. The question is.... how many banana splits will I have to make? Only time will tell.


Being new to three-dimensional art making, another thing I'm playing around with is making a 3D paper cupcake so I can understand the aspect of three dimensionality. I will be working on that today as well as sketching out my next American Beauty subject which is my friend and former colleague Sandy Ceas. So enough of the blogging, its time to walk Molly and get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment