Thursday, September 17, 2015

American Beauties #2 (Meg)






It's been a productive day today in the studio. I started by doing some tweaks to American Beauty #1, I decided I needed to make some adjustments to her mouth and slim her face a wee bit (I think I'd rendered it a little too wide at the bottom). Then it was on to beauty #2 (Meg). I sketched her out on Tuesday but didn't have a chance to scan it in (actually I don't know how to scan - sad I know) so here she is here, first as a sketch and then a painting in progress... since studio days are Tuesdays and Thursdays I should have her finished next Tuesday, or Thursday if I get distracted by another project like One in Eight (still working on that one although I lost my exhibition space for it... a colleague advised me to seek out the Boulder Contemporary Art Museum so I have that on my 'to do' list for the next coming month. Anyway... I always forget how much I love painting portraits until I sit down and do one, then I'm in heaven. I've decided to table the cupcake series (also known as the Huge Tracks of Land series and the 99 names for boobs series)... I just wasn't feeling it and was totally not satisfied with the paintings that I had produced thus far (although both are currently in exhibits in Denver). I'm thinking paint isn't the medium for that concept nor is the cupcake the vehicle to convey the idea so I'm going to give it a rest until something comes to me ... I have a few ideas but want to work on the American Beauties for a while (and 1 in 8), in between I will noodle with other ideas as well as start a collaborative project with my friend Lisa... instead of writing letters or emails (it is the 21st century after all) we talked about sending a sketchbook back and forth to each other. I love the idea and have the sketchbook... I just need to get my sketch finished so I can send it off to her (Lisa if you are reading this I'm excited to see what you think about the sketchbook - I didn't make it but now I want to learn how to make the paper that is in it! It will be coming your way soon!)

So that's it for now... It’s off to walk Molly and then back to the studio for some sketching and computer work (yeah to the sketching boo to the computer work! Actually the computer work isn't bad, I need to create an excel spread sheet so I can keep track of my American Beauties!)











No comments:

Post a Comment