Friday, July 17, 2015

Reboot on the Cupcake series


So after weeks of struggling with my cupcake series, you know when something just doesn't feel right, I was ready to just chuck it in but again a colleague (and friend) validated the concept so I opted not to but then what to do... I've not been happy with my baked goods thus far, I felt like I was trying to force a round peg in a square hole and finally just had a total artist block (hate those!)... then a dear friend (Lisa Kennedy) suggested, why don't I get a real cupcake, light it with strong light and paint it... then manipulate it from there! Lisa you are brilliant! The above study is the result of this experiment... its the first decent painting I've done in months (not since my mouth series)... gees I was beginning to think I couldn't paint anymore, that I'd lost the artist touch with oils! 

With this success, I started thinking about the vision I had for the series as a whole and have decided to reboot the series, starting over with a fresh approach using this little gem as my guide! Instead of painting from my imagination per say, I'm going to use that imagination and manipulate the actual cupcake and then paint that! Forget the writing on the background (again square peg in round hole), instead the names will be the titles of the work (allows for more ambiguity) and then I will speak to the names as a whole in my artist statement! Finally it is starting to feel like a natural flow again and not something forced which is what it has been feeling like since I picked up the brush for this series.... man you'd think after 15+ years of painting I'd have learned, the art doesn't work if its forced! Anyway... feeling renewed, will be taking the past disasters off the stretcher bars (no sence in wasting perfectly good bars on crappy paintings), I have ordered more canvas from Dick Blick and will begin again... Soutine painted his meat series from real raw meat, if it worked for him then it will work for me... the challenge for me will be to make sure my girls don't eat my models as they've threatened to do already!

No comments:

Post a Comment