Monday, January 19, 2015

This is the start of a new series

So this is one of two test prints for a new series concept I am working on... my subject is sea glass, specifically the sea glass I collected on the beaches in Provincetown while I was in residency during my graduate studies. The glass for me symbolizes not only my time there but I also find it conceptually connected to my life as a middle ages woman. The life of the sea glass acts as a metaphor for my life as a woman and how my/its physical appearance changes over time. Each piece is different as is each woman. What is universal is how we change over time.

This piece does not have a title yet as I am still working on it. I'm also very interested in the Japanese Art and Poetry called Haiku and am thinking that the titles will be in the form of haiku. My over all concept is to first create an artist's book, the number of pages will be equal to the number of pieces of sea glass I have, once each piece has been rendered, printed and colored the pages will end. The pages will then be placed in order of the Haiku verse so that it will be both a book of art and a poem. I then need to figure out how I'm going to package them. Depending on the success of the image, I might experiment with printing them larger so they can also be a stand alone work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment