Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Girl circa 1890's

72 Girl circa 1890's, 6 x 6 inches, Paper Plate Lithography, $60
So this lovely girl you have seen before in the first images of the Artists Proofs. For me and perhaps historically she symbolizes the icon of femininity... or perhaps the 1890's version of femininity, at least in theory and perhaps visually.... there is a part of me that questions this idea as the Gibson girl also makes me think of the vision of the woman in the kitchen, whose role is to service, wait upon etc... the old fashioned role of woman, in contrast to todays woman, me being one of them, if that description where to be placed on me, I'd get seriously pissed off and I consider myself a very feminine woman and although I love to cook, try and place me in that kind of sterio type box and I'd probably scratch your eyes out. So for me, this hairstyle perhaps represents the old view of femininity whereas the hairstyle of the Flapper that we saw earlier in the week represents the changing role or perhaps characteristic of femininity? In all I find this a fasinating subject to contemplate and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment