Monday, December 1, 2014

Portrait of my friend Laurie

So this is a portait painting that I started two years ago while in my first residency of graduate school. I never completed it but liked what I had started so I left it for a later time. Now that my mouth series is finished I thought now would be a good time to start working on it again. What I'm realizing is that periodically I will need to paint a portrait so I can keep my skills up and fresh. Although I liked what I had started as I developed it further I realized my proportions were off, the eyes were uneven, the nose too long and the chin too short so today I adjusted the eyes (still need to work on the eyebrows). I painted in the mouth and made some adjustments to the nose but they were still off so I decided to paint them both out and bring them back. Prior to graduate school I wouldn't have had the confidence to paint out half a face! As I'm typing I am also seeing I need to bring down the jaw line a bit. This will be fun practice as I have no particular reason for painting this portrait other than I want to, so I can take all the time I want and make all the adjustments I feel are necessary while experimenting with different strategies! I love painting...

No comments:

Post a Comment