Sunday, November 16, 2014

Artist Proof - Girl

19 Artist Proof - Girl, 6 x 8 inches, Paper Plate Lithography, $60
This hair style is from the 1890's and represents the Gibson Girl, hence the shortened title of Girl.  One of the challenges in labeling the individual lithographs was coming up with a consistant format. I first started with a long discriptive title, sometimes having the name of the individual whose hair style it was taken from but then on other styles I was not able to identify the individual. In the end what I decided to do was take the identification down to as simple and basic a format that I could, this then left room for the imagination, a bit of mystery or ambiguity which I found drew people into the overall work - meaning they spent more time looking at it because they were trying to figure out based on the limited information I provided, who the hairstyle belonged to!

No comments:

Post a Comment