Thursday, November 13, 2014

Aritist Proof - Flapper

Daily Print #16, Artist Proof - Flapper, 6 x 8 inches, Paper Plate Lithography, $60
I've always enjoyed this one, perhaps it is because the hair style is from the 1920's and I'm kind of fasinated with that time period, the literature, the music, the fashion and the art are all very interesting, not to mention the women's movement. The women who were identified as Flappers challenged tradional American values (perhaps that is why I like the style?) Characteristics of a Flapper include short bobbed hair, short hems on their skirts, listened to Jazz music, more makeup, drank hard liquor, smoked cigarettes, treated sex more casually and were in general opposed to the conventional social and sexual norms... I pulled this info off on the internet from a powerpoint titled Women's Movement 1920s and the 1960s by Paige Z.  From other research that I've done on various other women, from this time period, this is a good summary. To me it signifies women taking a stand in a more public fashion... I like that idea, goes along with 'I am woman hear me roar'!

No comments:

Post a Comment