Monday, October 13, 2014

Fashion plate 1 (working title)

For now I'm calling this Fashion Plate 1 (working title) because I'm not sure where I want to take this... it could be the start of a new series, or perhaps the start of a 'daily' printing practice where I draw, print and color a new fashion plate each day... all still to be determined. I also look at these as possible studies for a larger idea that is still swirling around in my head. For now this was a fun little experiment that I did as a demo for a Master class I was teaching at the Colorado Art Education Assocation fall conference that took place up in Breckenridge, Colorado this past weekend. I added the color (a combination of watercolors and watercolor pencils) when I returned from the conference.

In creating this, I am interested in the idea of fashion drawings and the concept of simplifying the figure, leaving the face unrendered providing only the guide lines of where the facial features would fall if they were added and focusing on simple shapes to render a fashion design.  The purpose of simplfying the figure and leaving the face non-descript is so to not objectify the female but instead to focus on the design of the clothes. The image is small, perhaps 5 x 7 inches (I didn't measure it so this is an eyeball guess). Maybe I should call it Fashion Plate 1 - blue sheath?

No comments:

Post a Comment