Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Doodle Series (on-going)


These images are the start of an on-going project that for now I'm calling my Doodle Experiments. The first image has no title at the moment (I can't come up with one) but the second image I'm calling "Springtime in Paris". I think of the two pieces I like the second one (the one with the title) better. With this project, I am experimenting with mixed media including transfers, ink drawing, watercolors and micron pens. It is something I am planning on delving into after I finish my MFA.... perhaps even adding collage or photomontage (I've been reading up on Dadaism and love the work of Hannah Hoch), and maybe even gold leaf (that is also something I've been wanting to experiment), although I'm not sure how I'd incorporate the gold leaf (I think Gustave Klimt would be a good inspiration for that investigation).

I'm thinking that as I continue to create these small pieces that perhaps I will then use them as studies for larger paintings on eithr canvas or paper. This in turn would take my painting style in a whole new direct, one that would possibly incorporate all the exploration and investigations I've been doing while in the graduate program with the different kinds of media. There is a good chance my thesis will include painting, printmaking and photography. If this is the case then this current 'doodle' series would be a great segway into my next phase of artistic endeavors.... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment