Thursday, March 13, 2014

60 Emotions to expand to 100 Emotions


This began in the fall as an exercise that studied emotions. My mentor gave me the challenge to do 10 ink drawings/paintings of each of the six emotions. I completed that challenge last week. Yesterday I met with my new mentor who loves the series and has encouraged me to continue, upping the number to 100 and possibly using the grid in my thesis! As I continute to create I will also be looking at the grid and experimenting with its formal aspect by moving around the pieces to study and determine the best compositional placement of the faces. I have also pulled out the 10ish images that include hair and will replace those with images that have the hair removed but maintain the same facial expression.  It's been a fun investigation and experiment. With each drawing I am strenthening my skills as a portrait artist while learning to let go of perfectionism and embracing the lose of control that ink drawing with a brush and a stick force upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment