Friday, February 28, 2014

Investigating the concept of Middle Aged Women + Fashion + Objectivity of Women


I'm not sure where I'm going with these photographs (digital photography this time not iPhone) but I am going to continue to explore the ideas of middle aged women, fashion and the objectivity of women. Perhaps I will show these as photos or perhaps use them as reference images for paintings I'm just not sure at this point. It started as an experiment with the idea of the corset and what women do to maintain the 'ideal' body weight and shape. Here instead of a corset I am using plastic saran wrap tightly bound around my figure to pull in any extra curves (not that I have any of course.) Taking inspiration from W Magazine fashion images, I've obscured my face with some pink tulle fabric I borrowed from Bella's clothing design supplies. Then with Andy (my husband) as my photographer I played around with different poses as I imagined myself a fashion model posing for magazine spread sheet. It was fun although a bit uncomfortable because it was hard to breath and move around in the plastic wrap.  But then again, couldn't that be said about the corsets women wore in the 16th, 17th, 18th and early 19th century? Or of the stylish (sarcasm) girdles women still wear today? This investigation is an on going one...

1 comment: