Thursday, November 24, 2016

And.... We Have Three Walls!

Wednesday was a big day for the OutHouse.... it was the day we were to see if the walls we've been building would actually go together! Not having ever built anything before (I haven't but my assistant Mark has - Thank God!) we were constructing via my drawings in the sketchbook which again I have never designed a building before so it was really interesting to see if my 2D drawings would actually translate to 3D and.... here is what we have!



I'm behind the OutHouse holding the two walls together as Mark prepares to screw them together.


After they are screwed together we added metal brackets to make them more structurally sound.


And we have three walls! Mark and I have also decided that this OutHouse is way bigger than the Port-O-Potties we have today! We also added the support beams that are the first steps in building the bench of the OutHouse. The Porcelain bucket is also being constructed and currently in the kiln to be fired.

Monday, November 21, 2016

The Gender Neutral Out House construction continues

Dispite dark coming earlier these days, snowy weather, broken drill bits, running out of screws and some warping of wood... construction continues on the Out House! Last week I completed the third wall of the House. This Wednesday my assistant and I will set to work seeing if the three walls will actually come together, we will make whateve adjustments needed and start to actually assemble the structure! I want to do this before we start on the forth wall which will be more complicated because it has the door. So here are some progress shots documenting the construction.

The frame

It was late in the day when I finally got the frame for wall three completed. Warped and spliting wood proved to be the challenge of the day!


 Construction begins, luckily when I was cutting the planks for side wall one I also cut and numbered the planks for side wall number two - this made building this wall so much easiler that the first one...




Or so I thought going into it... Three broken drill bits later and a run to Home Depot!


Back from HD production begins again... as it grows later in the day



Of course once the drill bits were purchased, I ran out of screws! So another run to the hardware store for yet more supplies...


Finally though the job gets done and now we have side wall number two complete!

Monday, November 14, 2016

Progress report on Gender Neutral Outhouse

Progress continues on the OutHouse. I've signed on an assistant to help with the construction of the OutHouse as well as work with me on the over all project. Mark Fitzsimmons is a former student of mine from RMCAD. During my opening reception for Objects of Desire he volunteered to help with the project after overhearing me tell another friend at the opening about my new concept and how I have never built a thing in my life but decided it was time to learn. So in turn, I inquired at school how we could turn this adventure into something that would also benefit him and thus he is my intern working on a Professional Experience internship with me. Although I refer to him as an assistant verses an intern because it puts us on more equal terms and feels more like a collaboration. 


And so progress continues... last Wednesday we built the frame for wall one.





The peak was a challenge but together we made it happen! And so here is the frame. The back end (my side) is 6 feet and the front (Mark's side) is 7 and 1/2 feet in height. 


Then on Friday I cut the planks and screwed them into our frame. Because the peak was challenging on Wednesday I figured I would start with that and work my way down.


And here is the fruit of my labor! Man looking at this picture the OutHouse looks huge! For some reason our modern day Port-O-Potties don't seem this big! Is it my imagination?

Then today I sketched out the construction of the Front of the OutHouse, figuring out the measurements and the various components that will go into constructing it, starting with the frame and then layering the different stages. 





Of course before we begin the construction of the front, the second sidewall needs to be built. That should be much easier the second time around because we were forward thinking when we were building the first sidewall in that while we were cutting the pieces for that one we also cut the pieces for the second wall. I also did the same thing on Friday with the planks so (in theory) it should be easy-peasy to construct on Wednesday. I will work solo on that one because of busy schedules this week but then we will join forces to build the front. Prior to that though I think I need to revisit how I'm going to connect the four walls and make sure I thought that aspect of the construction through. 

Overall, it’s been a fantastic experience and I'm finding I really like working with electric saws, drills and screwdrivers! It's also great having an assistant! Especially one that was a former medic in the military so that if I do something like cut off a finger, he can sew it back on easy-peasy!